Your Cat Helps Keep You Happy and Healthy – Why Not Return the Favor?
Check out our list of ways to keep your cat happy and healthy. Aim for a perfect 10, and you’ll have the happiest cat on the block.
10 Ways to Keep Your Cat Happy and Healthy
- Playtime. Playing lets your cat channel his instincts, wards off boredom, and keeps him lean. Spend several minutes, several times a day using interactive toys with your cat, and leave out balls, toy mice, and other toys for solo play throughout the day.
- Healthy diet. The first ingredient in your cat food should be meat, not “by-products,” and it should be free of grains, soy, and fillers. Treats are fine, but watch the quantities, especially if your cat has a tendency to put on extra weight.
- Grooming. Cats love to groom themselves, but they sometimes need a helping hand. Long-haired breeds should be brushed regularly, and all indoor cats need their claws trimmed. Establish a grooming routine, and use treats to make it extra-pleasant.
- Clean litter box. Cats care as much about a clean litter box as you do. World’s Best Cat Litter offers 6 natural litter choices, so you can choose the formula that works best for you.
- Comfy cuddle spots. Cats sleep anywhere from 15 to 20 hours a day—so baskets, boxes, and blankets can become your cat’s favorite spots.
- Regular checkups. Your cat should visit the vet once or twice a year—more often if he has health problems or is older than 15. Your vet will provide routine vaccinations and preventative care for fleas and other pests.
- Freedom. Cats are independent creatures. Let your cat roam freely around your house, and don’t force your affection on a cat who’s not in the mood.
- The great outdoors. A safe enclosure in your yard, or “catio,” can help keep your cat happy and healthy. Give your indoor cat a comfortable perch by a window, and leave it open when the weather permits.
- Scratch the itch. Get a few good scratching posts. They should be tall and heavy enough for your cat to stretch out at full length without knocking them over.
- Feline friendship. Many cats will be happiest with a friend or two. That could mean another cat, or even a dog. Try fostering until you find the best personality match for your cat.
Put a little effort into figuring out how to keep your cat happy and healthy, and enjoy the purrs!