WHY DO CATS LIKE CATNIP?
Wondering why your cat goes nuts for a sniff of catnip? It has a little bit to do with the oil found in its leaves, and a lot to do with its blissful effects. Learn all about why cats like catnip and more.
5 Ways to Celebrate Valentine’s Day with Your Cat
HUGS & KISSES TO CATS & KITTENS ❤️ HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY!
Valentine’s Day is a time to pay special attention to those who we love the most. This applies to humans too, of course; but in this post we are talking about cats. Meow.
On February 14, extra hugs and kisses go out to all our beloved cats and kittens. Here are a few ideas on how to paws and share the love on this special day.
Statistics show that a majority of cats love catnip, and anecdotal evidence reveals that 12 tiny pinches of the fresh stuff may induce feelings of friskiness. With this in mind, one of our favorite felines suggested the following twist on a familiar verse:
SPEAKING OF POETRY…
Your cat might enjoy hearing this one by Evelyn Goodman. It’s romantic and pretty, about the love of a good kitty.
His and Hers
I bought a little kitten
As a present for my wife.
It took less than a minute
To endear itself for life.
Purring, with its tail held high
It trailed her all around.
This tiny, fluffy ball of fur
Climbed and leaped and clowned.
It somersaulted on the rug,
Pounced on every paper scrap,
And when it was all tuckered out,
It curled up on her lap.
Now, since we’ve got equality,
You’ll agree that it was fittin’
That I returned to that same store
And bought myself a kitten.
HEY, WHAT’S THAT RED THING?
Red is the hot color of the day. And red is the color of those cool laser pointers that many cats are wild about.
Great for physical frolicking and mental stimulation, that tiny red light can instantly transform some cats into a dashing little darling. (Just make sure you never point it near their beautiful eyes.)
BRUSH YOUR KITTY CRUSH
Though most cats may balk at being treated to a luxe mani/pedi down at the spa, felines far and wide love to have their fur stroked with a soft brush. (Warning: They might not want you to stop.)
SCREEN SOME VIDEOS
Does your little buddy like birds? Here’s a “look at the birdy” video for your favorite four-legged bird-watcher. (Spoiler alert: A squirrel somehow snuck into this video too). How about a precious Happy Valentine’s Day Video Compilation (with a gentle piano soundtrack)? And two young spoken word artists channel their inner feline in this funny and inspiring ode to cats everywhere.
MOVIE TIME (CATFLIX & CHILL)
Some of the most obvious cat movies to curl up on the couch and watch together include “Cats” (the 1999 film based on Andrew Lloyd Webber’s smash Broadway musical); “Garfield: The Movie” (featuring Bill Murray voicing the beloved comic strip legend); and “The Cat in the Hat” (with funny human Mike Myers embodying Dr. Seuss’ mischievous children’s book superstar).
And here are a few lesser-known cinematic cat classics:
- An action film: “Catwoman,” Halle Berry’s graceful 2004 turn as a crime-fighting superheroine with cat-like abilities.
- A comedy: “Keanu,” a wild tale about a cat caught up in some unlikely adventures with comedy duo Key & Peele.
- A documentary: “Kedi,” described by Variety as “a profoundly affecting meditation on several forces of nature — with paws and tails — surviving and thriving in an industrialized world.” (Who’s a good Kedi?)
- An homage: Catflix, er Netflix, also offers “Kitty Love: An Homage to Cats,” starring your celebrity feline host, Abatutu.
BUT WAIT, THERE’S MEOW…
Other Valentine’s Day ideas collected from the Internet of Cats include:
- Give kitty a new scratching post (or build one … from scratch).
- Make a donation to cat shelter or rescue group in your kitty’s name.
- Bake some Tuna and Catnip Kitty Treats (DailyPaws)
- Peruse this list of “The 66 Best Gifts for Cat Lovers” (NYMag)
Here’s wishing you and your cat a purrrrr-fect Valentine’s Day celebration.